Malifaux, a new beginning for a new year...

paulk

Malifaux, a new beginning for a new year...

Post by paulk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:01 pm

Well it's a new year and my hobby table is empty again, so when Connor approached me to share in the new Malifaux 2 player starter set, I thought why not.

This isn't my first attempt at Malifaux, years ago I delved into the Ten Thunders, but it was at a time when WarmaHordes was at its peak in CVC, so I didn't give it enough attention, selling off my models as per usual.

Enter the 2 player starter box, 4 models each, Connor having Guild and Neverborn for myself. We played our first game Thursday evening, just the basics and had great fun. I'd forgotten that it is an alternate activation, low model count skirmish game...just what I like. This is early days, but Connor and I will slow grow this for ourselves, however I know Dave and Scott have collections.

So last night, after returning home from club, I went through every model that Wyrd produce, putting the ones I like the look of into faction columns, ironically I had lots of models I liked in the Neverborn column, so that will be my direction (I don't know what these models are capable of yet).

Today I picked up Lilith and crew and a few extras. I've started painting the 4 starter box models, I'm ashamed to say that I played with unpainted models last night...walk of shame :(

Hoping to have these 4 completed by Thursday for another game.

I have never properly played a game like this before, with weird looking models and a very unique non dice mechanic. It's going to be interesting and will add to my game mix of X-wing, WHF, Bolt Action and Dust.

I will be playing fun models for fun games, I'm not going for anything competitive.

So something new for my hobby table to start the new year :)

Connor H

Re: Malifaux, a new beginning for a new year...

Post by Connor H » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Casually Sat In College Today And I Here A Bing Come From My Pocket... It Was A Certain Mr. Kennedy Who Chose The Strangest Place To Stop For A Coffee... It Was A Little Shop Called Firestorm. Paul Kindly Picked Me Up A Hired Guns Starter Set And A Special Character Called Bishop (Looks Like A Mix Of Predator And Darryl Dixon). After Finishing College I Quickly Headed To Paul's To Pick Up Me New Toys. Currently Building Bishop/Predator/Darryl. No Pics As I Need To Get Some Calk Board To Make A Pretty Base.
It ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth.

slim chaney

Post by slim chaney » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:09 am

I've looked at this a few times but it's definitely confusing on the outside looking in :D

Would the two player starter be the best entry point for a total newb?

I s'pose the other option would be crew, rulebook and deck?

Thoughts?

Gareth
Club Committee

Post by Gareth » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:22 am

I'm thinking of pickup up a rulebook crew and deck.

Well Ive got a 1.5e crew (Perdita) and a Fate deck already. Anyone know if the decks are the same, guessing they are, so I probably only need a rulebook.

Dave
Club Committee

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:38 am

Decks are just a 52 card deck but with M2e picking up an arsenal deck is recommended as many masters have lost their abilities and they have gone into upgrade cards. From memory masters can have 3 upgrades, henchmen 2 and minions 1. But don't quote me on that ... I'll start bringing my stuff down after the weekender so it'll be the middle of Feb before I start playing again

slim chaney

Post by slim chaney » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Just ordered a rulebook, well rule manual, from the Trolltrader. See what this is all about :D

paulk

Post by paulk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:49 pm

@Lee, it's a weird, weird, WYRD world. I'm way out of my comfort zone...but I'm liking it :)

Connor and I started with the 2 player box and within 2 days we've bought a crew each :P

We are still going to slow grow the rules to make sure we have it right.

paulk

Post by paulk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:01 pm

I would also add that I chose my models purely on looks without knowing their abilities.

It's best to buy models with the M2E logo, Malifaux second edition, as all models are the very nice plastic and you get the most up to date stat card.

As you may have read at the beginning, I went through every model to see what I liked the look of, choosing Neverborn.

There were a few models from other factions I wanted but couldn't have. However, if these models have Mercenary on their stat card, I can have them in my Neverborn crew, paying one additional soulstone when I total my list...Welcome Convicts with Guns to the Neverborn :P

Darkside
Club Committee

Post by Darkside » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:56 pm

@ gareth you will need the rule book for the updated cards or need to buy the crew again to get them as they are not in the Arsenal deck as I found out when I bought the arc deck.

Gareth
Club Committee

Post by Gareth » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:13 pm

You probably got the wave 2 deck. If you can find an arsenal box it should have all the cards. Think they only printed a limited number though. They seem hard to find.
I'll just start a new faction... I only had the one box anyway.